Tips to Prevent House Fires

Tips to Prevent House Fires

Fire in your home can happen easier that you think! 

Several weeks ago, we spoke with a client who had given herself quite the startle. The previous night, she decided to do some baking, and when she woke up the following morning, she wondered why her home felt a little bit warmer than it should have.

It only took a moment for her to realize she’d accidentally left the oven on overnight.

Although house fires tend to be most prevalent during December, January and February, that’s not to say that you’re not at risk during other parts of the during other parts of the year.  Below are just a few things that can help keep you, your family and your pets safe.

Don’t leave your oven / stove unattended (if you’re cooking)

It only takes a minute for a wayward paper towel (or potholder) to catch fire. Regardless as to what your cooking, you should never leave your stovetop unattended. If you’re preparing something in your oven, don’t forget to turn your oven off when you’re done.

Don’t run extension cords under floor rugs

Not all our homes have outlets exactly where we’d like them to be. If you need an extension cord to power a lamp, computer or your television, be sure to buy something that’s high-quality and durable. Never, ever run your extension cord under a floor rug.  Don’t staple them to walls or floors, and don’t use tape to keep them in place. You should also make sure that the extension cord you’re using is rated for the appliance (or device) you want to power.  If you have questions about what will work (and what won’t), be sure to check with an electrician.

Don’t overload your power outlets

A second challenge of not having as many outlets as you’d like, relates to trying to plug everything into an outlet at once. For example, if you’ve decided to purchase an electrical multi-outlet (aka, multiple outlet wall plug adapter / power strip), do not overload it with too many devices.  One homeowner we spoke with installed one in her kitchen, and had her microwave, blender, coffee maker, toaster and air fryer plugged into it. When her electrician advised her that this could be a fire hazard, she opted to have a second kitchen outlet installed.

Be careful with your space heaters

If you use a space heater, be sure it’s at least three feet away from anything that’s flammable (ie: floor rugs, furniture, etc.) Do not plug space heaters into an extension cord, and never, ever leave it on when you’re sleeping.

Do you have other fire prevention / safety tips? Tell us in the comments.