19 Jul Summer Home Security Tips
Summer is here and that means vacations, barbecues, and family outings. However, it can also mean a spike in criminal activity, making your home especially vulnerable to burglary. In fact, statistics show that home burglaries increase significantly during these months. A variety of factors may contribute to the increased rates of home invasion, including:
- More time away from home, due to vacations and family activities
- Children and teens running in and out and forgetting to lock doors or arm security systems behind them
- More home repairs and maintenance, increasing the number of “strangers” with access to your home
Consider these need-to-know statistics. Nationwide home intrusion occurs approximately every fifteen seconds, with 60% being forcible entries, and in 30% of cases, a burglar will enter through an unlocked door or window. Distressingly, only 13% of burglary cases are solved, and rarely is personal property recovered.
Having a security system also protects your family and valuables. In one study, it was revealed that convicted burglars avoid homes with security systems. Wireless systems are best, since criminals who do invade security-protected homes may cut electric and phone lines. Also, during vacation time when you’re away from home, hiring a home watch professional is highly recommended.
Additionally, following these safety precautions can help you to reduce the likelihood that you will be a victim of a burglary this summer.
- If you do not already have one, install a wireless security system from a reputable dealer. Ask your home watch professional for a referral.
- Remember to lock all windows and doors securely when leaving your home, even for short periods of time.
- If you have hollow doors, replace them with solid wood or metal. Hollow doors are easily kicked open.
- Use a dowel or track lock for sliding glass doors to prevent opening when you are out or sleeping.
- Don’t leave windows unlocked at night.
- Remove shrubbery and trees that block the view of windows and doors. These can provide excellent screens for burglars forcing entry into a home.
- Consider adding security lighting to the outside of your home. Again, your home watch professional may be able to provide a referral.
Following these simple steps, you can reduce your risk of becoming a victim of burglary. And with the help of a home watch professional, you can make your home an even safer place. Contact us for more information.