In addition to arming your home with a security system, there are general home safety tips you can follow to protect against burglars, intrusion and fire and give you and your family an added layer of protection.
- Leave a television or stereo on if you are away for any extended period of time and use exterior lighting and motion detectors to deter burglars.
- Ensure all doors have locks that are functioning properly and install deadbolt locks on all exterior doors.
- Do not leave extra keys under doormats, potted plants and other obvious outdoor locations.
- Set a pipe of metal bar in the track of your glass sliding door and have a glass break sensor installed on the glass sliding door.
- Keep garage doors closed at all times, even when you are in the home.
- Keep curtains and blinds closed, so that burglars cannot see inside and take inventory of your belongings.
- Store cash, jewelry and any other valuable item in a locked safe or safe deposit box instead of having them out in the open in the home.
- Adjust your home phone ringer volume to a low setting, if you are gong to be away from the home. A phone that goes unanswered could be a signal to burglars that nobody is in the home.
- Hire a home watch service to watch over your home while you are away for any extended period of time.
- Ensure all materials used in renovations are fire resistant.
- Never leave lit candles unattended.
- Never leave an open flame or stove/oven that is on unattended.
- Do not leave hot irons or outdoor grills unattended while in use.
- Have carbon monoxide detectors, as well as heat sensors and smoke detectors installed and make sure they are in proper working order.
- Make a fire escape plan for you and your family, in case of an emergency.